- Represent Verdane at events in the growth space, further developing an individual network in the entrepreneurial ecosystem
- Direct outbound contact to founders, investors, owners, managers and advisers to generate deal flow and make sure Verdane sees all the best deals in the market
- Establish Verdane’s name in the German market in cooperation with the firm’s entrepreneurial team
- Continuously develop the partnership and trust with owners and managers
- Develop a compelling investment thesis for growth and back this up with in-depth research and analysis, including due diligence workstreams as appropriate, to make recommendations to the investment committee
- Active involvement in investment portfolio value creation to drive the agreed business plan
- Identify potential add on acquisitions and other organic growth opportunities
- Expected to take on significant responsibility quickly, taking board seats from early on, and assist with the exit process
- Strong alignment with Verdane's value set (we dare to be different, we get things done, we are best in class, we are passionate and we respect for both people and the environment)
- A passion for technology-enabled businesses and talent for networking in the technology growth scene, significantly contributing to the sourcing of new deal opportunities from day one
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a humble team player with an entrepreneurial mindset and a hands-on working attitude
- Incisive commercial judgement and the financial/analytical skills to support this
- Self-starter with the self-confidence to work independently and ask questions when required
Qualifications and Experience
- Well-rounded and strong academic background ranging from engineering to science, business, finance or beyond. Results and all-round attitude are probably more important than the subject itself.
- Two to three years of operational and deal experience gained at a strategy consultancy, start-up, corporate venture or technology firm; roles might include corporate development, strategy, wider operational responsibility, as well as M&A and other advisory exposure
- Significant involvement with technology-enabled companies, preferably in the consumer internet or software sectors
- Prior transaction experience is an advantage
- Native-level German and excellent English language skills are required
Verdane is an established and highly successful Nordic growth fund specialising in technology-enabled companies in Northern Europe. Verdane invests equity tickets of €15m and upwards into companies in the software, consumer, advanced industrials and energy sectors. Since spinning out of a local venture capital firm in 2003, Verdane has built a position as leading Nordic growth investor and taken on a European leadership role in the acquisitions of portfolios. The firm is currently investing a €320m fund (2016 vintage) focused on secondary direct portfolio transactions and more recently raised a fund (€320m, 2018 vintage) dedicated to single company majority or minority investments only.
Verdane has increasingly broadened its focus to include German companies and has so far partnered with nine German firms. The plan is now to strengthen Verdane's presence in the DACH market by setting up a new office in Berlin. A number of Verdane partners will rotate into the new office from early 2019 and be physically based in Berlin for the next few years. The aim is therefore to hire a Director and two Associates to work locally. The main focus of the Berlin based office will be on portfolio acquisitions but some direct investments may be made selectively.The Berlin team will be very active in developing local dealflow, reaching out to entrepreneurs and their wider network to source new opportunities, and work with owners and managers to assess partnership options for growth. There will also be significant active portfolio work.